Version 7.0 Materials Are Coming in 2022!
What's New With the PMBOK® Guide - Seventh Edition? How and when will this impact the PMP® exam?
The PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition was released on August 1, 2021. PMI has not committed to a date as to when these concepts will be tested on the PMP® Exam. However, they did publish these two statements in their March 2021 FAQs:
- “The PMBOK® Guide is an input to preparing for the PMP® exam – and is listed as a reference – but it is not a test-preparation tool. The new PMP® exam, which launched 2 January 2021, will continue to use the PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition as one of several references. The new exam has been planned for some time and is not related to the release of the PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition.
We strongly recommend that candidates refer to the current Exam Content Outline for up-to-date information about preparing for certifications. Information about PMI certifications and future changes can be found at pmi.org/certifications.”
- “PMP® exam items are updated throughout the year as part of our continuous improvement and examination maintenance process. Once the PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition is released, it will replace the Sixth Edition as reference to validate the content. The Exam Content Outline (ECO) has not yet been updated, but is expected in early 2022.”
At CertWise, our interpretation of these two statements is that questions relating to PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition may appear today on the PMP Exam, but we expect those questions to be unscored until they pass a rigorous psychometric evaluation and more substantive exam changes are implemented in mid-2022. PMI has indicated that their Authorized Training Partner Program materials will be updated if the Exam Content Outline changes, which would indicate that the exam questions will not change dramatically in the short term. We encourage you to contact PMI for an official answer to this question.
Visit these PMI resources for more details:
When will the CertWise instructor and student materials be updated? How will the transition be managed?
- Our goal is to release the new CertWise student and instructor materials in Q2 2022. We will continue to embed PMI content from both the PMBOK® Guide – Sixth and PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Editions in these materials.
- Given our expectations around the PMP Exam update, we encourage you to continue using our Version 6.19 materials for all classes starting on or before March 31, 2022. As we get closer to our Version 7.0 launch date, we will provide you with a date as to when you can expect access to the new materials.
- If you have leftover inventory of Version 6.19 at the time of transition, we will swap those materials for Version 7.0
- If your students have active online licenses for Version 6.19, they will have the opportunity to upgrade to the Version 7.0 online program for free for the remainder of their access period. Printed books will be available for an extra fee of $100 plus applicable shipping and taxes.